Pamela Mehta, MD
Edited by AHSM Admin
Purpose of Hashtag campaigns:
Hashtag campaigns are a great way to collaborate with other influencers on social media, interact and engage with your followers and increase awareness to a topic that you are passionate about.
What is a hashtag and why is it used?
A hashtag is used to identify messages on a specific topic. It is a word or phrase preceded by a hash sign (#), used on social media websites and applications. Whenever a user adds a hashtag to their post, it’s able to be indexed by the social network and becomes searchable/discoverable by other users.
Here are some basic tips to setting up a Hashtag campaign:
- Decide on the topic and/or something you are passionate about. Often times hashtag campaigns begin simply because there is a hot topic present in the media and you want to bring awareness to the issue Even if a topic is not “hot” or present in the media, you may want to bring awareness to an issue that is important to you or in your field.
- Decide on the hashtag. The hashtag should be relatively short and catchy. A quick search of your hashtag is imperative to make sure it hasn’t been done before or that there are not already thousands of posts using the hashtag which would dilute your campaign. It is favorable to be able to search the hashtag you create and find other people using it once you have launched the campaign.
- Decide on a group of people you would like to invite to post in the hashtag campaign and when you will post. Probably the most important aspect of developing a hashtag campaign is to include other influencers in your launch and decide on a date and time to simultaneously post. This will increase visibility and engagement. It is not necessary to “know” the individuals you ask, but it is a higher likelihood that those will join if you have engaged with them in the past and support them in their endeavors as well. You can ask them to mention your handle and the hashtag in the post as well as ask everyone in the group to tag each other in the post. Language to encourage others to join in the campaign is encouraged in the body of the post as well. This will also boost visibility and engagement.
- After the hashtag campaign has launched, it is important to engage. Your hashtag campaign will continue to be successful if you engage in the comments of your post, and also in the comments of other people posting with your hashtag. Highlighting their posts in your insta stories will also bring awareness and visibility to the campaign. Engagement is always best done within the first few hours to day of the campaign launch.
- Other “hashtag campaign etiquette”
- Commenting and highlighting on Instagram stories the people you selected to join you in the campaign.
- Supporting and joining in on the hashtag campaigns they may start.
- Thanking your followers and others for joining in on the campaign.
Last edited: May 3, 2019